Conrad B. Ivie, M.D
A native Tennessean, Dr. Conrad Ivie is an Orthopaedic Surgeon whose specialization includes comprehensive care of the hip and knee. His specialty training includes hip and knee preservation and reconstruction, including hip arthroscopy (scopes) and minimally invasive anterior approach total hip replacement. His practice includes but is not limited to care for acute injuries of the hip and knee, meniscal tears, labral tears of the hip, femoral acetabular impingement, fractures around the hip and knee, and arthritis of the hip and knee.
He attended medical school at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center and received several awards, including the Hubert Trust Scholarship. Dr. Ivie’s extensive background includes residency training at the University of Missouri and fellowship training at the Anderson Clinic, Anderson Orthopedic Research Institute in Adult Hip and Knee Arthroplasty and Hip Resurfacing / Total Joint. Professional associations include membership in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
Dr. Ivie is an avid athlete, a previous collegiate football player, state champion in track and field, and the 2001 Bigger Faster Stronger National High School Athlete of the Year. He most enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters, being actively involved in his church, hunting, running, and obstacle course racing.
Anterior total hip replacement (arthroplasty) is done through a small incision on the front of the hip, and allows the surgeon to go between the muscles around the hip instead of cutting them. This muscle sparing, minimally invasive approach to hip replacement allows for patients to be up and moving the same day and have a shortened recovery time, increased mobility, and faster recovery.
Below are some common surgeries Dr. Ivie preforms and common conditions he treats:
- Minimally invasive Direct Anterior Hip Replacement
- Outpatient hip replacement
- Revision Hip Surgery
- Hip Arthroscopy – Femoral acetabular impingement, Labral Repair
- Hip Preservation – Labral Reconstruction, Cartilage Restoration
- Hip fracture Care
- Comprehensive care of hip osteoarthritis
- Minimally invasive Knee Replacement
- Partial knee replacement
- Revision Knee Surgery
- Knee Arthroscopy- treatment of meniscal tears etc.
- Knee Preservation- High tibial osteotomy, cartilage transplants
- Comprehensive care of knee osteoarthritis
Conrad B. Ivie, M.D. Profile
- 2005 University of Central Missouri B.S. in Biology, summa cum laude – Minor in Chemistry
- 2009 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine – Medical Doctorate
Post Graduate Education and Training
- 2009-2014 Residency- Orthopaedic Surgery University of Missouri – Columbia
- August 2014 – July 2015 Anderson Orthopaedic Research Institute; Anderson Clinic Alexandria, VA Adult Hip and Knee Fellowship/Total Joint
- Board Eligible
- Missouri – 2009- 2014 training
- Virginia 2014 – current
- Maryland 2014 – Current
- Tennessee 2015 – Current
Professional Society Membership
- Current: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – member
- Current: American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons – member
Honors and Awards
- Hubert Trust Scholarship, Baptist Medical and Dental Fellowship- University of Tennessee
- Distinguished Scholar (Full Academic Scholarship) University of Central Missouri, 2001-2005
- Bigger Faster Stronger National High School Athlete of the Year, 2001
- Sawyer, J. R., Ivie, C. B., Huff, A. L., Wheeler, C., Kelly, D. M., Beaty, J. H., et al. (2010). Emergency room visits by pediatric fracture patients treated with cast immobilization. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 30(3), 248-252.
- Crist BD, Ivie CB, Bal BS. Total Hip Replacement with Use of a Direct Anterior Approach: A Critical Analysis Review. JBJS Reviews. 2014;2(6):e4 [online only]
- Ivie CB, Probst PJ, Bal AK et al, Improved radiographic outcomes with patient-specific total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty, 2014; Nov;29(11) 2100-3.
- Do Poor People Sue Doctors More Frequently? Confronting Unconscious Bias and the Role of Cultural Competency. Frank M. McClellan JD, LLM, Augustus A. White III MD, PHD, Ramon L. Jimenez MD, Sherin Fahmy JD, Sonny Bal MD, Conrad Ivie MD- Poster Presentation at The Clinical Orthopaedic Society 100th Anniversary meeting September 2012
- Ivie C, Probst P, Bal A, Gallizzi M, Bal BS. “Patient-Specific Implants and Instruments Improved Outcomes of Total Knee Replacement.” The Clinical Orthopaedic Society’s 101st Annual Meeting in Niagara, NY, Sept. 19-21, 2013.
Ivie C, Bal BS, Davis M, Crist B. “Patient-Specific Implants and Instruments Improved Outcomes of Total Knee Replacement.” The International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty’s 26th Annual Congress in Palm Beach, Florida, Oct. 18, 2013
- CT-navigated, patient-specific custom total knee replacement versus standard total knee replacement: Comparison with a Marker-less Gait Analysis System and Validated Outcome Scores. Sonny Bal, MD, JD, MBA; Thomas Aleto MD; Brett Crist MD; Conrad Ivie, MD
- Direct Anterior versus Posterior Surgical Approaches for Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Comparison Functional Outcomes Utilizing a Markerless Gait Analysis System and Validated Outcome Scores. Brett Crist, MD; Sonny Bal, MD, JD, MBA; Thomas Aleto, MD, Conrad Ivie, MD
Community Service and Activities
- Honduras Medical Mission Trip Team Member, April 2007
- Baptist Student Center Program Coordination 2006-2009
- Children’s Sunday School Teacher, 2002-Present
- Associate Director of Children’s Summer Activities, First Baptist Church Millington, 2003-2006
- University of Central Missouri Football Team member, 2001-2003
Family (spending time with my wife, two daughters, and our golden retriever), Church, Golf, Hunting, Grilling.